Sunday, February 29, 2004

This time I can only hope that my doppleganger doesn't strike again.

When I lived at my apartment on Rural and Baseline I went to get the mail and I recieved a letter from Blockbuster. The letter stated that I owed them about $30 dollars in late fees and if I didn't pay them immediately they would send it to a collection agency. You might ask for what movies I had late fees for? Well the letter would answer your question: Bats and Double Jeopardy.

Bats is a horror film about mutated bats that go on a killing spree, and its up to one lone scientist to come and save the day. Now that is a premise!

Double Jeopardy involves Ashley Judd being framed for a murder but finds out that the victim is still alive, so she decides to go out and actually kill him since she is already being punished for it. Makes sense. Oh, the "victim" is Tommie Lee Jones and her husband. This movie will probably be immortalized for being the peak of both actors careers.

These are two movies that I have never seen, or do I ever plan to see, or would I ever spend any form of monetary currency on either of them. Even if they accepted pencil shavings or chicken nuggets.

I looked at the date of the rentals and it was Februrary 29th of 2000. I was completely alarmed by this because on that Leap Day I was at work. I used to work for Bank of America at their cash vault. In order to enter the building I have to be allowed in through a controlled gate which is operated by a guard in his watch tower, then once your through the gate, he opens the door to the building, where you then enter a man-trap, then he lets you through to enter the vault. Every minute of your entrance and exit is logged. And every step you take throughout the compound is recorded on camera. It's very high security.

I looked at the address of the Blockbuster that I rented it from and it read *** Guadalupe Rd. There is a Blockbuster on Guadalupe and Rural (only half a mile from my house), which I have rented from (once about a year earlier) so I went down there to clear things out. I walked in to talk to the manager and the first thing she says is that I have the wrong store.

I was at the wrong Blockbuster?!?

"Where and the hell is this other Blockbuster" I exclaimed.

"Go down to Guadalupe and McClintock."

So I went to find a store that I didn't even know existed but I apparently went there two find two worthless films. I find the place and walk in and talk to the manager. She looks at the account and said I made the rentals at 7:36 on Leap Day.

"Well that is impossible! I work at a very high security cash vault and I am recorded as being there. So I cannot be here and there. I have never been here. I didn't even know that you existed beyond five minutes ago. Besides these are two films I would never waste my time with."

"Well I will have to look at the security tapes and figure this out. Call me in a week to find out your status."

There was nothing more that I could do so I left to wait. I wasn' t really concerned because I knew I hadn't committed the "crime."

I called back a week later and she hadn't had time to look it up. A week later the same response. Well this was getting irritating, so I called Joey, who was a manager for Blockbuster. He called from his store and told them to remove the late fee becasue it was ridiculous that I had the charge because I would never rent such worthless films. They removed the late fee (Thank you Joey) and all of my Blockbuster riddles went away except for one.

Where is my Doppleganger and where did he disappear to?

Maybe he will strike again on this rare day. If he does I hope he has improved his picture show taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home