Thursday, December 25, 2003

One of the most desired and expensive gifts are jewels. When I look at a diamond I see a rock. I do not understand the importance that people put into jewels. I do not know if it's a primal or conditioned response.

Throughout all ancient cultures, as well as modern ones, jewels have always held a very important status. Many cultures believe that various stones hold magical properties or qualities that carry the same weight.

Modern cultures that have shed their skin of supernatural phenomena, jewels still hold an important position. Many of these positions are held for vanity, but some represent a bond within a relationship.

When I look at a diamond I see a rock. I understand how some people want their significant others to exchange jewelry, because to them it represents something that is very dear and unyielding. I have never agreed with this line of thought, and I have never given jewelry. To me it is fake and not very dear, so I cannot give jewelry and feel good about it. So in turn I have not. I can understand how jewelry throughout the course of a relationship can become an icon of that relationship, but it is when I hear,

"You don't love me because you havn't given me a diamond ring."

I have actually heard this before and various statements that amount to this same interpretation. If you don't get me said object, then you do not love me.

I do believe that sometimes someone could find a piece of jewelry that would represent that individual, and that gift in turn would be a very personal one. If I saw your average run of the mill diamond ring and gave it, then how does that represent the personality of who is recieving it? I suppose to carry a personal meaning, the ring would have to distinguish itself and carry significance beyond the rest.

When I look at jewelry at a store, I see the same rocks displayed in different ways and angles, but they do nothing to actually distininguish themselves. The average model who does a hundred different poses, is still the same model just in a different view. To me it is all the same.

My mother adores unicorns. If I saw a ring that had a diamond that was cut into a unicorn, that would be a much more personal ring. It would obviously look quite ridiculous, but it would hold more personal meaning. This ring would seperate itself from all the other stock, much like my mother does.

I have two pieces of jewelry. A gold necklace and a steel tongue ring.

When I first learned about the process of tongue piercing, it changed my perspective from being revolting to intriguing. When I had the piercing done, I was going through adolescent emotional turmoil brought on by a girl. During this period I changed my image because I believed I had continued my old image long enough. In reflection, I realize I was merely shedding my old self, and becoming the self I wanted to be -- happy. My reasoning now understands the changes were due to the emotional pain I was self inflicting, and I needed a new persona that was free of my old struggles. The piercing was a patch that complimented my new quilt. I still enjoy my piercing, but now it represents the change I made in my life. I crossed a junction and forged a path to reshape my existence so that I could find a road that I would enjoy being myself again. Up until that point I just wallowed on my own dirt road, and went nowhere. It is my symbol to find the strength of my will in order to journey where I would most like not to. New paths are always hard to undertake.

My gold necklace is the only link that I have between my father. I have not spoken to him since i was fourteen, and have not seen him since I was thirteen. I am twenty three now, so it has been awhile. It is a 14k gold necklace that is a little small, but fits quite snug. I hold onto it to remember that I have a father. During my thirteenth year he met a woman that changed him, which I do not understand, and may never understand, but he became different. My relationship with my father shall be covered elsewhere in much fuller detail.

There is a piece of jewelry that I shall get someday, but I do not know when. I want a silver anklet around my right ankle. This is a symbol of grounding and when I get to big-headed, or I know to much, I need to be reminded that I am not always right, and there is always another perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home